Oil paints are one of the most used art mediums of all times due to the following reasons:
- Oil paint was mostly used by famous artists like Vincent Van Gogh and Leonardo Da Vinci; thus, it has been perceived as somewhat more prestigious than other types.
- Oil colors have a distinct texture that is very hard to recreate with any other medium.
- When executed well, oils can work with almost any style of painting.
- It is very versatile, as you can use paint thinners and other oils to play with the drying time, which allows for a wide-range of painting techniques, such as blending, glazing, and scumbling.
- Oil paints take a long time to dry, which allows you to blend the colors more delicately than other paints.
Note: The slow drying time of oil paints makes it harder to fix mistakes, as you have to wait for the paint to dry to add another layer.